5. Morbid Angel – Illud Divinum Insanus – The Remixes
What would happen if a death metal band gave their songs to a bunch of hyper-creative electronic music artists to be remixed into a dance/death metal/dubstep hybrid? Awesomeness. That’s what. I don’t know whose idea this was, but it was a brilliant one. And I don’t even like dubstep.
4. Regina Spektor - What We Saw From the Cheap Seats
Regina Spektor has never made a bad album; this one surpasses its more serious predecessor Far by returning to the quirky charm of Begin to Hope.
3. Gojira - L’Enfant Sauvage
The title track alone makes the album worthy of being on this list. It’s outstanding. (The rest of the album is strong, too.)
2. Garbage - Not Your Kind Of People
Welcome back, Garbage. It’s been a long time coming, but it was well worth the wait. You make freaks feel cool, and we love you for it.
1. Baroness - Yellow & Green
The build-up to this album was absolutely ridiculous. The first single dropped months in advance of the LP. Baroness was touring the new material with Meshuggah and Decapitated, which didn’t make sense. (Why was a stoner sludge band from Georgia sandwiched between two European speed demons?). After red- and blue-themed albums, they chose not one but two colors for the name of this one. I worried that Yellow & Green would be to Baroness what the green album was to Weezer. I assumed it would inevitably suck. But it doesn’t. It is stunning. Gorgeous. Anyone looking to mosh and headbang can skip over this one (I won’t miss your bashing into me at the next concert). But anyone who gets excited when musicians won’t be confined by the genre they supposedly fit into will cherish Yellow & Green.
Biggest Disappointment: Jack White’s Blunderbuss. It was truly a blunder. Bland and boring.
I Have Yet to Hear: New Raveonettes album. Full new album by A Place to Bury Strangers (EP is strong).
Keep Your Eye On: Pilgrim, Lord Dying, Venomous Maximus, Bezoar, Emilie Autumn.
- Whoa. RT @allBVposts: James Gandolfini, RIP bit.ly/12c4qkO 3 hours ago
- This is who I hang out with. #livingdeaddolls instagram.com/p/aukZ5vESaw/ 22 hours ago
- the everyday sexism project everydaysexism.com 23 hours ago
- .@brwestho Why thank you! #youaresupereditor \m/ 1 day ago
- RT @brwestho: ...@lindasusername @paultbradley @JasonRocheLAW @afroxander Tiffanie Lee and motherfucking @therealwillied ! #youarenumberone… 1 day ago
- Viggie & Vika Thaw Iceland with Scorching Metal, Part 2: Interview with Vika Yermolyeva
- Last night I broke my NYC gig cherry with Love Crushed Velvet
- Shabby Road Svengali - Interview with Record Producer Roger Greenawalt
- Truly Original Hipster Award: Sergeant D of Metalsucks
- Tokyo Dancer/Horror Film Star Cay Izumi Slays at Lucky 13 Saloon - Brooklyn
ORIGINAL HIPSTER by Linda Leseman is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at originalhipster.net.